Friday, June 6, 2014

It's Time to Start Thinking About Ending Affirmatiive Action

I rejoiced when the US Supreme Court ruled in favor of the Michigan Anti-affirmative Action Law. This was a sign of the times. We're in the 21st century and we've elected our first Black President twice. Just the idea of a Black President of the USA was unthinkable at the turn of the last century.Therefore, it would be short-sighted for anyone to say that things have not changed. The US has evolved,in terms of race relations, to the extent that America is almost a different place indeed.Yes, racism is still alive and well.But it's not the potent force it once was.Racism can no longer be used as an excuse for failure. Everyone have obstacles that they must challenge to achieve their dreams.Racism is just one of them.If you want to end discrimination ,stop discriminating. I was never comfortable with the affirmative action concept.I'm extremely proud of the fact that I'm able to achieve my American dreams without the benefit of affirmative action. And I'm trying to pass this legacy on to my kids and grandchildren.My mom raised me with the Golden Rule"Do unto others as you would have them to you". I always saw affirmative action as reverse discrimination. Dr. King once said"discrimination against White folks is just as insidious as discriminating against Black folks." My vision of our future is a post-racial America.If not starting now? When? My biggest nightmare is that we will still have affirmative-action 1000 years from now.I agree with Dr Ben Carson," lets replace affirmative action with compassionate action.We should be lifting all of America's children regardless of race,ethnicity,gender or sexual orientation. The USA is competing on the world stage.And we must never forget that.That is if we're going to remain the last hope of all humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment